Monday, June 24, 2013

"Summer" Cleaning?

I'm not sure what prompts me to want to clean randomly.  I'll be somewhere, doing something with someone completely unrelated and the wave will hit me. I get this sudden urge. Must. Clean. Everything.  Then usually, once I get home, I don't do it. But not today. Today I went above and beyond the norm. I decided that I wanted to get rid of all of my dishes from when I lived in Savannah, thinking that I will never need those again. Whenever I move out, I will want new things I'm sure... things that will be more "permanent". So, I went down to the storage room in the basement and searched for yard sale treasures.

I started by going through the boxes labeled "Jamie's Books" and I didn't find too many things to sell... throw out yes, sell no. Then I moved to the boxes labeled "Jamie's Kitchen" and boy did I find some goodies. Pots, pans, plates, glasses, utensils, bowls, you name it.  I decided the flower print plates were a go, along with the bowls and mundane glasses. As I moved to the bigger boxes filled with the pots and pans, my mother came downstairs to see what was going on.  She was surprised that I was getting rid of so many "essential" things in her mind.  She asked what would happen when I got an apartment. And thought it was crazy or dumb to part with all those things, when I don't have a ring on my finger.

Is she right? Is it stupid for me to part with all those things when my life's plan isn't certain?
She's implying that I should have an engagement or some sort of plan before I toss all my apartment goodies. While I would just rather... "start fresh" when I do move out. Either way, that stuff is from when I was 19 and almost 5 years later, I think I'm ready to get rid of it.

To toss or not to toss, that is the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment